A collation of the visions, values and interventions shared by the students of Ms. Rempel's grade 11 Environmental Science class at Windermere Secondary following our workshop on overconsumption!
Vision for the future: Reducing overconsumption by reducing perceived and planned obsolescence.
Value: Protecting the Earth's natural resources and reducing waste and pollution.
- Turn linear economies into circular economies
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle!
- Avoid purchasing cheaply made items
- Avoid fast fashion
- Buy items second hand (thrifting and FB marketplace)
- Purchase from companies who produce responsibly made products, product that last, and have transparent supply chains
- Repair items as much as possible to avoid purchasing new items
- Avoid following trends
- Reflect on whether the item is a "need' versus a "want" before purchasing
- Sign petitions that support the right to repair and legislation that encourages companies to adopt sustainable business practices
- Weigh the pros and cons of a product's impact on the environment before purchasing
- Join communities or groups committed to buying less!