I don't think anyone needs to be pressured or lectured into becoming vegan or vegetarian. Most people will actively resist when that happens. However, we can't deny the fact, that a reduction of meat and dairy products needs to happen. How can we achieve that? I emphasize the word reduction, because it implies, that we can still consume a little amount of animal products while still being environmentally mindful. A study from the research centre where I work as a student assistant calculates, that we should reduce our meat intake by about 75% (Parlasca & Qaim, Meat consumption and sustainability, 2022). In grassland areas there is no possibility to harvest any other crop, therefore the researchers propose that it makes perfect sense to keep livestock in those areas. For the remaining 25%, maybe we can make this consumption more sustainable as well. As an economist, I believe to a certain extent that the majority of people only react to price changes. We know that the consumption of some goods is debatable in the context of ethics or planetary health, yet we still are on a path that leads to an ever-increasing demand for animal products. Obviously, this change needs a lot of education and policy changes to be sustainable. One of the projects that could be helpful, is displaying the hidden costs of meat as one supermarket chain in Germany did last year in collaboration with the University of Augsburg (https://www.greenqueen.com.hk/meat-should-cost-3-times-more-german-grocer-shows-consumers-hidden-environmental-price-of-food/)
Let's display the hidden costs of food and let the people decide if they want to pay the real price.