I want you to remember what the sky looked like the last few days here on the lower mainland. How hot was it in October? How dry were the grounds? How different was last October?
British Columbia should have had tons of rain by now. And yet all we keep getting is smokey skies and a hot, dry day. Climate change has caused wildfires in BC that are beyond the normal rate.
202 wildfires STILL burning in BC
44 NEW wildfires since Oct 14
And while 24% of those may have been human-caused, the other 76% were naturally-caused. The issue with this is that climate change has led to much more frequent wildfires. And to top it off, because of climate change, we've barely had any rain!
Between July and Oct 21, Vancouver would normally have approx. 198mm of rain. Guess how much we had. 16mm.
I envision a future where the government can take action to prevent some of these natural "super fires" and lower the number of wildfires down to a safe number that will not impact our health. I also envision more people being careful to prevent themselves from causing 24% of these fires since it is very difficult to prevent natural fires.